Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Post Gettysburg Hangover

Friends,

Let me preface this post by saying two things.  I apologize for the late hour.  Second, I haven't had an adult beverage in so long that I can no longer remember the last time.  I do, however, remember what a hangover feels like.......and thus we have the subject of today's post.

Were any of you, like me, pleased with the amount of media coverage that the 150th Gettysburg event received.  It almost seemed as though, for a few days at least, the Civil War mattered.  We even had an article in the Houston Chronicle about it.  (Or the Houston Pravda as I call it!)  For an all too brief moment, the eyes of many folks in the nation were transfixed by the events in a far away town in Pennsylvania.  In a way that is somewhat reminiscent of when the battle was fought if you think about it.

But now all that has past.  I spent three days in July pondering the significance of those days in my own life.  I then spent the next day pondering the significance of the fall of Vicksburg.  I guess it was such an emotional "high" for me that I am feeling sort of let down lately.  I don't really know how to describe other than it is sort of like a Gettysburg hangover.  In a way it feels like I always felt during my reenactor days when the event ended and I realized that I had to return to the 20th Century.  Remember the line in the movie Patton when George C. Scott says "God how I hate the 20th Century."  I can surely understand his sentiment.

Am I alone in feeling this way or are any of you suffering from a post Gettysburg hangover?  I'm going to the 150th of Sabine Pass in about 5 weeks, so that will be a certain cure.

And the funniest 150th quote belongs to a colleague of mine, an educated person with a college degree, who when asked by me what he knew about Gettysburg responded with "Wasn't that Custer and the Indians?"

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict who works with folks who wouldn't know Stonewall Jackson if he jumped up and kicked them in the bottom end.  (Or threw lemons at them)

EDIT: Also, dear readers, I'll hit 6000 views with this post!  And all that in three months.  THANK YOU!

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to my first national event at Chickamauga Georgia come September 19-22. I hope in going,I learn more about myself,my ancestor who lived the life.It definitely puts a new spin on that era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for posting a comment. I really hope you enjoy your first national event. They are a lot of fun. I wish you a safe trip out there and lots of good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee I think what you feel is pure passion for this subject and when you are immersed in it and then get back to "reality", it is a let down because you care so very much about it. I too feel that way after a trip to Gettysburg or Chancellorsville, or any civil war site where so much life was lost.
    I'm hoping to get back there this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Holly. And thank you for reading my blog as well. I hope to have a new post tomorrow!

      Delete