Sunday, January 19, 2014

An Odd Connection

Dear Readers,

I came across this article today concerning a Confederate soldier who shared a name with NFL Quarterback Peyton Manning.  Though I am a die hard Saints fan, I have followed Manning's career since he was in college and consider him to be one of the last of the "nice guy" professional athletes.  (Like Drew Brees of the Saints)  What is perhaps the most interesting about that story is that the two are not related as ar as anyone can tell, despite sharing a name and birthplaces that are in relatively close proximity to one another.

The article does point out that Manning's great-grandfather is believed to have served in the 36th Mississippi Infantry.  I'm sure that there is some element in society that will be calling on Manning to apologize for his ancestor's service.  On a somewhat amusing note, I like how the article says there was a connection "between Manning and Abraham Lincoln's battle to end slavery in the United States."  The article goes on to say nothing about slavery or Lincoln.

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict who is still upset that the Saints lost last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment