Friday, November 22, 2013

A Writer's Life (Part 2)

Friends,

In keeping with my previous post asking if you could write a Civil War book, what would it be, I decided to take a different approach with this post.  The Civil War has given us a veritable treasure trove of literature that grows every year.  I read an estimate that was published in 1997 saying that we had over 50,000 Civil War titles.  I'd love to know how much we have now.  I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day and I was actually surprised to see that the World War 2 section was twice as big as the Civil War section.  Though I hate to use the term, those are our two "popular" wars and in the past the local B&N has given them equal shelf space.  Does this mean that interest in the war is fading?

Some Civil War topics seem to get more attention than others.  Just compare the number of books on Gettysburg to the number of books on Franklin for an illustration of that statement.  So here is my question for you, Dear Reader, what Civil War topic do we NOT need another book about?

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict who apologizes for the short post, but I am headed off to be a guest speaker on Civil War Medicine in my little redhead's US History classes this morning.

2 comments:

  1. My first suggestion would be Gettysburg. Enough is enough, already. Unless some major, previously unknown fact re: this battle is uncovered, then that battle has been exhausted. My second suggestion would be books discussing how important the issue of slavery was re: the war, when the vast majority of participants in the war had no interest in slavery, let alone were willing to fight over the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete