Monday, May 20, 2013

Best Brigade?

I previously pontificated about Civil War commanders.  Today I've been thinking about those following the commanders.  The question that I've been asking myself  is simple to ask but hard to answer.  If you could pick one and only one brigade from either side to either attack or defend, which brigade would that be?

On the Northern side, I immediately think of the Irish Brigade, the Iron Brigade, or the Gibraltar Brigade.  Of course, those aren't the only options.  On the Confederate side, the Texan in me immediately wants to yell out "Hood's Texas Brigade."  But what about Granbury's Texans?  Or the Stonewall Brigade?  As I ponder the possibilities, my head feels like it is going to burst!

This is not to take away from all of the brave soldiers on both sides who did not serve in a "famous" brigade. But I am left to wonder which troops might be considered the "best" or to phrase it another way, "elite."  I've thought about this all day and I have to confess that I am unable to narrow it down.

Can you?

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lee

    Started to follow your blog. I think the Missouri Brigade that Francis M. Cockrell led should be considered on the southern side.

    Don H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful choice! Many good Irishmen in that Brigade! Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete