Saturday, May 4, 2013

Civil War Time Traveller

If you could go back in time and witness one (and only one) Civil War event, which would it be?  Would you want to see Jackson standing like a stone wall?  Perhaps you would want to see Robert E. Lee attempting to lead the Texas brigade into combat at the Battle of the Wilderness.  The options are endless.

For me the answer is simple.  I would like to return to the afternoon of November 30, 1864 at around 4 pm.  I want to feel the ground shake as 19,000 Confederate soldiers march in unison across what will become a valley of death.  I want to see the battle line which stretched for 2 miles across the valley.  I want to see 200 battle flags bathing the column in a sea of red.  I want to hear the rebel yell echoing through the air.

Yes friends, I would like to witness the opening minutes of the Battle of Franklin.  But just the opening minutes.

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

5 comments:

  1. Lee, my name is Jeff Isom. I teach 8th grade U.S. History, and I too am a Civil War addict. I recently found your blog and must admit how comforting it is to know that I am not alone. :) I will join you in a prime location on Winsted Hill to watch that spectacle and feel the earth tremble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And welcome! Rest assured, you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough, tough question. I would probably choose the Gettysburg Address, with Lincoln's second inaugural being another option. Sticking strictly to military type of events, the meeting of Grant and Lee at Appomattox would be my choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices. I think the 2nd Inaugural would have been nice to hear. Thanks for posting and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st Manassas to see the shock on everyone's face as my rebel ancestors had the Yankees and fancy bystanders on the run. Despite horror of it all, that surely be my choice.

    ReplyDelete