Thursday, May 9, 2013

Civil War Fiction

I received my copy of Hell or Richmond by Ralph Peters today.  Obviously I cannot comment on it yet since it just arrived.  But it got me thinking about Civil War fiction.  I have a large collection of Civil War novels.  It is not as large as my collection of non-fiction, of course.  I know there are quite a few history types out there that don't read historical fiction.  However, I have always read both.

I have my favorite Civil War novels just as I have my favorite battlefields, non-fiction books, and generals.  I am far from being a literary critic, though my minor was English literature/creative writing.  Many people have asked me in the past what my favorite Civil War novel is.  The answer surprises some folks who think that I'll go along with the "industry standard" which seems to be The Killer Angels.

My favorite Civil War novel is The Black Flower by Howard Bahr.  It concerns my favorite battle.....the Battle of Franklin.  So I guess it is only natural that I prefer this novel to all others.

What is your favorite Civil War novel?

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

1 comment:

  1. Widow of the South & The March by Doctorow. I have soft spot for Franklin too.

    ReplyDelete