Saturday, July 6, 2013

Beyond Gettysburg

Friends,

Typically Civil War Addicts have been to some pretty cool sites off the beaten path.  That is the subject of today's post.  Not satisfied with merely visiting the same sites as all of the other tourists, Civil War Addicts seek out new places to see.  I have been to many Civil War battlefields in my day.  Some of the best ones are not National Battlefield Parks, but rather State Parks or State Historic sites.  And I've been to some interesting non battlefield places too.  Here is but a small sampling.

Port Hudson, Louisiana, Nov. 2009

Original Centenary College site, Jackson, Louisiana

And there are several others with no pictures readily available.  They include Sabine Pass, New Market, Perryville, Prairie Grove, and the Myrtles Plantation.  Though if I had to pick one non-national park as my favorite site, it would have to be New Market, Virginia.  I haven't been there since I was a teenager, but I've never forgotten it.  So assuming it hasn't changed in the past 20 years, it still holds that honor.

So I leave you with this question, dear readers.  What is your favorite non-national park site?  (It can be either a battlefield or non-battlefield site.)

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

(Photo credits go to my wife.  They can be used with proper attribution to this page.)

EDIT:  I can't believe that I forgot to mention that last week I hit the FOUR THOUSAND view mark!  Not bad for the first two and a half months.  Thank all of you so much.  Let's see how fast we can hit five thousand!  (And no, that doesn't count my own views.)

6 comments:

  1. New Market, Virginia, a state park where 10 Virginia Military Institute cadets "Died on the field of honor." Their courage and sacrifice is still remembered today every May 15th at VMI. Ten cadets from their original companies are selected to answer the roll call for them with the phrase, "Died on the field of honor, sir."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is my favorite as well. They were giving tours when I was there and oddly enough, there was a Custer impersonator in the group that I accompanied on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Market is indeed wonderful. But I'd have to put Perryville as the best I've seen outside of the NPS.

    A lot of other great sites, though... The extent of the battlefield they've reclaimed in Franklin is astounding, and the work continues. Fort Pillow in TN is humbling. Fort Morgan in Mobile Bay is inspiring. The battlefield at Mine Creek SHS in Kansas is near spotless, and small battle though it was, it's worth going out of one's way.

    I'm very lucky to have seen as many sites as I have - 500+ by now - and except for those very few that have are completely gone, they've all been rewarding. For even the smallest sites, there's always something there; sometimes it's a hunt, but it's always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! Franklin is wonderful. I haven't been there in over ten years and I know they have done a lot since then too. I can't wait to get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of my favorite sites is Fort Washita in Oklahoma. Our reenactment unit spent many fine times there. The site is beautiful but the recent loss of the barracks by fire was a sad thing. I hope they can build it back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,

    That was a nice site. I was fortunate enough to go there one time.

    ReplyDelete