Wednesday, August 7, 2013

From Garryowen to Glory

Friends,

First let me state that I am still alive.  My wife did read Monday's post and thought it was funny.  So I was allowed to live and post again.  It was a close one.  Hell hath no fury like an angry German redhead.

As some of my loyal readers know by now, I live with five cats.  I have always felt that our animal companions should have "people" names that fit their personality.  So as a History Addict, mine are named after historical/literary personages that suit the cats' personalities.  One of my cats is named George Armstrong Custer, or "Autie" as we call him.  I have had him since he was about 3 weeks old.  He was separated from his mother at way too young an age (and abandoned) and so I took him in and he has been with me ever since.  Because of those circumstances, he did not develop normally and though he grew into a big cat, he is still mentally like a kitten.  He got his name because as I watched him play with my other cat (I only had two at the time), I noticed that Simon would run into the hallway and hide behind the door.  Autie would go barreling along after him only to be ambushed as soon as he rounded the corner.  He never could figure out that Simon was waiting right on the other side of the door.

It is odd that I have a cat named after General Custer.  He is not my favorite general by a long shot.  It isn't because of his battlefield record, which wasn't bad......other than that whole Little Big Horn thing.  His performance in the Civil War is quite remarkable.  I just don't like his personality.  I've just never been a fan of those with enormous egos, be it during the Civil War or today.  I have a framed painting of his last stand hanging above my entertainment center at home.  Every morning I am greeted with Custer's demise.  Not a bad way to start the day!  And it is a reminder to me to always make sure that I know what I am getting in to.

There are other generals with less than stellar personality traits.  Braxton Bragg comes to mind!  Perhaps even McClellan.  So, dear readers, here is my question of the day.  Is there a Civil War person that you would rather run backwards, naked through a cornfield than to have to be locked in a room with?

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

Autie says share this blog with your friends!



4 comments:

  1. I'd have said McClellan, for his impressive ability to overlook or avoid critical opportunities. However, Lincoln removed him from command and Seth Grahame-Smith turned him into a vampire. Doubt I can do worse by him.

    BTW, I had some fun with a character in "The Guardian's Angel," a Shelby Foote-like Civil War scholar who insisted on naming his numerous sons after CW generals. However, by the time the youngest was born, the only choices left were Custer and Hooker. What's a Dad to do? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! But if you had to name a child Hooker, better for it to be a son than a daughter I suppose! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. The most despicable character of the War for Southern Independence was w.t.sherman. He waa a war criminal, by any standard of decency, and totally devoid of a social conscience. In his private life, he even denounced his own son for choosing to become a Catholic priest. What kind of man would do such a thing to his own flesh and blood, but a despicable character like w.t.shermsn? I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get much argument from me. I'm not a big Sherman fan. Alas, my father's name is Billy and so he is "Uncle Billy" to my numerous cousins, much to my chagrin.

      Delete