Thursday, April 18, 2013

First Tennessee Infantry

As part of my blog, I will profile units in which my ancestors served.  I will trade off between Confederate and Federal units.  I'll begin with the famed First Tennessee Infantry.  Many people may be familiar with them because of the wonderful memoir written by Sam Watkins.  He served in Company H.  My ancestors served primarily in Company G, also raised in Maury County.

Without getting bogged down in details, the 1st Tennessee fought at Shiloh, Perryville, Stones River, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Franklin, Nashville, and Bentonville.  They were fearless on the attack and tenacious on the defense.  The men of the 1st Tennessee stayed the course until the bitter end.

I am related by blood or marriage to the following:

Morgan Fitzgerald
Haywood Taylor
Henderson Vestal (killed at Perryville)
John L. Jacobs

There are even folks in England that reenact as members of the 1st Tennessee.  That is pretty cool.

My next regimental post will discuss the "Fightin' Fools" of the 8th Ohio Infantry.

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment