Saturday, April 20, 2013

My First Battlefield Visit

I believe the year was 1986.  My parents took my brother and I to watch the reenactment of the Battle of Sabine Pass.  Since I grew up in the exotic town of Port Arthur, Texas, it was a very short drive out there.  I had no idea that I had grown up just a few miles from the site of one of the most improbable victories in the annals of military history.  (Okay, so I may be exaggerating a little.)

I remember watching the recreated battle and being amazed by the sound of the artillery and rifles.  They even had a mock ironclad (the USS Clifton, I believe) offshore firing at the Confederates.  Afterwards, we walked through the camp and I got to talk to some of the participants and also get some pictures taken.

Fast forward to 1997.  I participated in my first reenactment.  I was now reenacting the Battle of Sabine Pass just as I had seen done 11 years earlier.  What a thrill!  I have been reenacting off and on ever since, though sadly not as much as I would like.

Anytime someone questions the money I've spent on Civil War gear, or books, or trips, or movies, or anything else related to that, I look back to the September day in 1986 and blame my parents for taking me out there in the first place!

I am Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment