Sunday, June 9, 2013

Civil War Games

Friends,

In true Civil War Addict form, I have several Civil War era games.  When we visited Gettysburg in 1994, my brother and I purchased the Gettysburg board game.  I believe it was an Avalon Hill game.  Anyway, we got hours and hours of enjoyment out of it.  I still have the game, sans most of the pieces.  Otherwise, I'd still play it.  (Though I would have to let my hot redheaded wife win.  That is normally the smart thing to do when competing against a redheaded girl of German ancestry.)

I also have some games on the computer as well.  I still play Civil War General II along with the Sid Meier's Civil War (it has Gettysburg and Antietam).  I admit that I am old school when it comes to computer games.....and probably everything else.  I still play the Red Baron (1991) using the DOS Box.  It just seems like the modern games are so complex that it takes the enjoyment aspect out of them.  If I still had my Nintendo, I'd play the North and South game.  Anyone remember that one?  Great fun!

So my question for you today is this:  What is your favorite Civil War game?  (Board game or computer game.)

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a technologically challenged Civil War Addict.

3 comments:

  1. Certainly not the original or later edition Gettysburg games that Avalon Hill put out (and I like AH games!). My favorite game has to be Mark Hermann's "For the People" which you can see at http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/833/for-the-people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting game. The main problem with playing board games at my house is that the cats feel the need to join in and help move the pieces.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, you can buy the game then get the Vassal module for free and play online. There are so many people willing the play the game as it has been published twice and then a mounted map was published.

      Delete