Thursday, June 6, 2013

D-Day

Friends,

Today marks the 69th Anniversary of D-Day.  I know it has nothing to do with the Civil War, of course, but I thought it might be appropriate to mention it.  Many of the soldiers who stormed the beaches at Normandy were descendants of brave Confederate and Federal troops who fought at places like Shiloh and Gettysburg.  With that kind of blood in their veins, it is little wonder that they were able to take the beaches.

So take a minute today, if you haven't already, to remember our World War 2 veterans.  We loose more of them each day.  Soon there won't be any left.  Those of us who knew them will become the keepers of their stories.  Both of my grandfathers (along with great-uncles and cousins) served during the war.  I had one grandfather in each theater.  It is strange to think that if I have a grandchild, they will be as far removed from my grandfathers as I am from my Civil War ancestors.

As an update, the injection I got for my back didn't work.  I'm back to the same pain levels as before, but never fear, there will be a Civil War post this weekend.

My name is Lee Hutch and I am a Civil War Addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment